Virtual Work Experience
With the majority of our students not able to experience their internships due to COVID-19, we want to work with employers to deliver meaningful, virtual work experience opportunities.
Through virtual placements, students aged 16-18 will understand what it means to be Career Ready, increase their confidence, and develop new skills.
- Placements are held over 4 or 5 working days via the video conferencing platform your organisation uses.
- Ideally, it will held in the autumn school term during October half term.
- Placements can also be over a number of weeks to better suit you and the school e.g. 1 day per week.
- Students are provided with an example job description (Word Doc) to explore, and a host who supports them during the placement.
- You may invite student(s) to meetings, where appropriate.
- There’s no expectation of payment, our aim is to provide a meaningful experience.
Our benchmarking research evidences that virtual work experiences are extremely valuable. Students gain vital insights into the world of work, the nature of home-working, and get the opportunity to develop professional networking skills.
In Scotland, students will be able to elect to participate in the SQA Personal Development Self and Work Unit and receive points on their school leaver certificate.
To ensure that this is a smooth experience for you, we provide:
- Example projects and guidance on how to engage with young people.
- Content for workshops on employability skills e.g. CVs and Applications.
- We liaise between you and the school/college
If you would like to get involved with our Virtual Work Experience opportunities then please contact VWEX@careerready.org.uk and a member of our team will respond to discuss the next steps with you as soon as possible.