Our Virtual Work Experience placements were set up in response to the Covid pandemic and the cancellation of summer internships.
They were designed to give young people an authentic insight into what it’s like to ‘work from home’ and to gain first-hand experience of the world of work:
- Students were provided with a set job description and a host who supported them during the placement.
- Students carried out real work which added value to their host employer, especially in ‘hackathon’ style placements.
- Students were invited to real meetings, where appropriate.
The Virtual Work Experience opportunities offered by employers included:
- 1-5 day experiences incorporating industry insight, skills sessions, and group or individual projects
- Ongoing weekly sessions over a number of weeks including skills sessions, industry insights and project work.
Virtual Work Experience placements were available to young people on the Career Ready programme in our partner schools.