Career Ready & Citi started a partnership in 2002 which has since gone on to transform the lives of thousands of young people across the UK.
Over the life of the partnership, Citi has supported Career Ready in Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and the Republic of Ireland through the provision of mentors, paid internships, masterclass presenters, local advisory board members, and long-standing financial support via the Citi Foundation.
Our partnership has transformed the career outcomes of young people across the UK. Ranging from young people securing university places and apprenticeship schemes, right through to full-time employment with Citi.
We’ve had 101 interns at Citi this year. It’s great for the interns, it’s great for our young managers who supervise them – and it creates a real buzz in the building. There is a huge amount of valuable learning and new understanding between our people and the interns.James Bardrick, Citi Country Officer for the UK & Chief Executive of Citigroup Global Markets
Our partnership is sustained by the Citi Foundation’s Pathways to Progress initiative which works to tackle UN Sustainable Development Goal 8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth. Pathways to Progress focuses support on young people, helping them to build an entrepreneurial mindset, acquire leadership, financial and workplace skills, and address the issues of youth unemployment.
The support of Citi volunteers and the Citi Foundation has led to the following successes:
- The recruitment of 395 mentors
- 544 paid internships
- Rebecca Greer, a student from the Belfast Metropolitan College, secured a full-time position in the Equity Settlements Team at Citi Belfast following her paid internship
- Their support has transformed thousands of young lives over the years, most recently through the Citi Foundation’s Pathways to Progress initiative to support young people develop employability and leadership skills. So we’re delighted to announce that the Citi Foundation are extending their support of Career Ready with a grant of $450,000.
Our 2017/18 Achievements
Over the last year, our partnership has expanded its reach and helped more young people than ever before:
- Reached over 4,000 young people by embedding a whole-school careers blueprint in 11 schools across London.
- Supported 210 students with internships and mentoring in London, Edinburgh, Belfast and Dublin.
- Citi volunteers delivered masterclasses on skills for career success and hosted workshops & events.
- 7+ Citi staff members serve as chairs of our Local Advisory Boards, driving our school activities and engaging with local employers.
- Sponsored the ‘Volunteer of the Year’ category at the annual Career Ready UK Awards Celebration.
It is a privilege to be part of Career Ready, helping to build the invaluable partnerships between businessess and educators across Scotland, collectively supporting young people. We are delighted to help develop the skills & confidence of the young people we work with. As they develop, we recognise that they are better equipped to contribute to all our futures, as a result we all benefit in many waysColin Stewart, Country Head – Scotland, Citi
Talent Development of Citi staff
Working to deliver the Career Ready programme has also had a significant impact on the talent development of Citi staff. The internship supervisor role supplies structured on-the-job management training and the impact on Citi employees is direct. The leading response from supervisors is the positive impact on management skills amongst Citi employees, especially in regard to aspiring managers.
Citi volunteers are also automatically granted membership of the Citi UK Programme Partnership to help sustain engagement with the programme, create a network for participants, provide members with relevant information, and supplies incremental developmental opportunities.
Our Success Stories
We’re proud of the difference we’ve been able to make to the lives of young people and Citi volunteers across the UK. Here are some of our success stories: