About the Role
The main purpose of our Regional Managers is to grow, develop and deliver all aspects of the day-to-day account management of:
- Schools and colleges running a Career Ready programme
- Employer supporters, corporate supporters, stakeholders and partners
- Mentors and internship supervisors
Across Essex and the East we work with 63 schools and colleges (400 across the UK) offering programmes based on our Skills for Career Success learning outcomes, delivered by employer volunteers. The core pillars of our programmes are a series of structured masterclasses, mentoring, workplace visits and work placements. Last year 98% of students aged 16-18 leaving our Career Ready 16-18 programme went on to positive destinations.
- Remote Based/Working from home: occasional travel across Thurrock and surrounding areas
- £32,000 to £35,000 doe plus 25 days holiday, pension & working at home allowance
- Monday – Friday 35 hours per week (although this is a full time role we may consider alternative working patterns)
The successful candidate will join the Essex and East team (currently 5 people). They will work with colleagues and employers across Essex to support the Career Ready Programmes in 10 schools and colleges in Thurrock. The Regional Manager will be responsible for ensuring a high quality of activity is delivered in schools/colleges by our volunteers, as well as implementing the strategy for the region by overseeing local employer, school and stakeholder relationships. There will be opportunities to collaborate and be creative, as well as being autonomous in how you run and develop the programme with your schools/colleges.
Growing employer support will be key to the success of the region and the post holder will be required to generate new business partnerships across Essex.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Develop a local strategy and growth plan for the regions in line with the Career Ready National Strategy.
- Recruit and on-board schools to the Career Ready programmes
- Account manage on a regular basis schools and colleges running our programme. This will require support visits, managing events for students and corporate supporters, conducting Quality Assurance visits.
- Account manage relationships with regional and local corporate supporters and regional or local operations of national corporate supporters.
- Provide regular communication and reporting to the Lead Manager for Essex and the East.
- Work in close co-operation with head office staff to provide a co-ordinated approach to the wider region, which could include joint regional events and covering for each other.
- Promote the contribution of Career Ready and awareness of Career Ready to potential supporters and assist in engaging their commitment to give both practical and financial support.
- Develop and grow a Local Advisory Board
- Attend Local Advisory Boards meetings
- Help support mentor volunteers.
- Develop and deliver a local CPD event for teachers.
- Ensure that all regional management information is submitted to the national Salesforce database in a timely and accurate way.
- Oversee and ensure a high quality of activity is delivered in schools/colleges by volunteers.
- Support schools and colleges in delivery of work placements and paid internships.
- From time to time there may be a need to deliver sessions to skills and careers leads and to groups of young people within the school and college setting.
- Recruit new schools and colleges to the network from the region in accordance with priority target areas. Manage their induction, training, activities prior to launch and implementation of the Career Ready programme.
- Support the Lead Regional Manager with data collection and reporting requirements specific to trusts and foundations.
- Directly pursue a prioritised list of prospect corporate partners in line with our regional strategy, and research further potential regional income sources
- Use networking and commercial BD skills to cultivate potential regional donors
National and strategic management
- Contribute to the corporate work of Career Ready
- With the Chief Executive Officer, Director of Programmes and Lead Manager for London and East monitor the state of Career Ready in the region and seek ways to promote its achievements and improve the service given by the central staff team.
- With the Programme Director, and other Regional Managers, develop the role of the regional teams. This will require attendance at meetings and training days
- In conjunction with senior staff and the communications team, work to raise the profile of Career Ready in the RM’s area, and its key stakeholders in the regional and local media, business and education communities
- Undertake public speaking and media engagements as required to promote the work of Career Ready in the RM’s area.
- Assist schools and colleges on our programmes to plan, manage and run events to promote Career Ready to potential corporate supporters, students, parents / carers and the local community, and be prepared to present at such events
- Attend national Career Ready events such as A Capital Experience and arrange and manage regional events including inductions, ice-breakers and graduations
Promote a commitment to high standards of service, and to equality of opportunity through leadership, policy development and good practice. You will be able to build local partnerships with Schools, Colleges and employers with a view to growth with the Career Ready strategic plan. An entrepreneurial spirit allied with a can do attitude will go a long way.
- Target driven, but able to balance financial and non-financial objectives
- Entrepreneurial with the ability to follow through and achieve results
- Forward planner with excellent time management skills
- Able to deliver targets and objectives, often alone, but also to rise above the detail and take a strategic perspective
- Able to communicate effectively in a wide variety of situations, including formal speaking engagements to large audiences
- Able to reach, network with and communicate to a wide range of stakeholders and potential stakeholders including senior business people, principals of schools and colleges and students
- Able to operate corporately as part of the Career Ready team
- Consultative and supportive management style
- Skilled negotiator, internally and externally
- Ability to use databases, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other ‘Office’ packages
A flexible approach to working hours is essential as ‘out of hours’ meetings are common within the requirements of this role.
A full UK driving licence and your own car is essential to fulfil requirements of this role.
- Preferably three years in an education role. Experience could have been gained in schools, FE colleges or not-for-profit organisations, but the successful applicant must be able to gain credibility with senior managers in a variety of educational institutions; or
- Three years experience in a not-for-profit organisation involved with young people; or
- Three years experience in a community development or Corporate Social Responsibility role in a company; and
- Evidence of commercial awareness and proven experience of account management.
Appointment will be subject to a 3-month probation period during which time the contract may be terminated with one week’s notice. An enhanced criminal record (DBS) check will be required for the role.
Salary & Benefits
- £32,000-35,000 per annum, depending on experience
- Plus 6% contribution to personal pension plan, subject to 3% employee contribution
- Working From Home Allowance of £300 per annum
- Annual leave: 25 days per annum plus bank/public holidays. The Charity is also closed between Christmas and New Year and there are an additional 2 days of leave available in August.
- Interest-free season ticket or bicycle purchase loans.
- Access to both our Reward Gateway Portal and an Employee Assistance Programme
Closing date for applications is Sunday 5 December 2021 at 5 p.m. Interviews will take place in a TBC week in December.
If you are interested in the role, please apply online by submitting your CV and a covering letter (of no more than 2 pages) that demonstrates clearly, through examples, how your experience meets the requirements of the role and what attracts you to Career Ready. Please provide details of your current salary.
All applications to be submitted to email@example.com
Please note that if your application is not accompanied by a covering letter your application will not be considered.