On Tuesday 2 April Career Ready celebrated their annual UK Awards at the Drapers’ Hall, City of London, to honour outstanding young people, volunteers and schools on the programme.
With winners across six categories, the event honoured young people who have excelled on the programme, volunteers who have made an outstanding difference to the life of a Career Ready student, and schools who are an example of best practice in helping young people for the world of work.
Following a regional nomination process, awards were given out by former students of the Career Ready programme who have since gone on to enjoy the start of a successful career. Awards were handed out in the following categories:
- Leidos UK Student of the Year
- Citi Volunteer of the Year
- Standard Life Aberdeen Mentor of the Year
- Santander Employability Champion of the Year
- AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year
- Think Logistics Student of the Year
Angel Maynard from Connell Sixth Form College, Manchester, was named the overall Leidos UK Student of the Year for her commitment and excellence during the programme.
Career Ready really does prepare young people for the world of work, it has shown me that there is more to construction than what meets the eye. It has taught me to always put my best foot forward and give everything a go. The programme and people I have met have influenced me to be more positive. I feel ready for anything and I believe that life will always through lemons at you, but you just have to juice them and make some delicious lemonade to get you through the day.
Angel Maynard, Leidos Student of the Year
Natalia Twahirwa from Elliott Hudson College, Leeds, was named as the overall AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year for her passion and commitment to pursuing a career in the STEM sector.
Further winners on the evening include:
UK Students of the Year proudly sponsored by Leidos:
- Scotland: Niam McConnell, Armdale Academy
- Northern Ireland: David Merron, Lagan College
- North of England & Wales: Angel Maynard, Connell Sixth Form
- South of England: Kyle Princess Marzan, Westminster Academy
Volunteer of the Year, supported by the Citi Foundation:
- Scotland: Kirsty McNeil & Ian Whyte, Santander
- Northern Ireland: Stephen McCullough, CDE Global
- North of England & Wales: Mick Skerrett, Manpower
- South of England: Martyn Swansborough, Lloyd’s Banking Group
Standard Life Aberdeen Mentor of the Year:
- Northern Ireland: Alison Neate, Citi
- North of England & Wales: Wayne Evans, Joe Fizz Asset Finance
- South of England: Katie Burrett, K Burrett Cleaning Services Ltd
Santander Employability Champion of the Year:
- Scotland: Shona Valentine, Wester Hailes Education Centre
- Northern Ireland: Jonnie Clements, Ashfield’s Girls School
- North of England & Wales: Ruth Cabourne, Stockton Riverside College
- South of England: Dilon Beqa, Barking & Dagenham College
AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year:
- Science: Natalia Twahirwa, Elliott Hudson College
- Technology: Erwin Grodowski, Shawlands Academy
- Engineering: Lee Scott, Keith Grammer School
Think Logistics Student of the Year:
- 3rd Place: Daniel Richardson, West Derby School
- 2nd Place: Toni Gatenby, Stockton Riverside College
- 1st Place: Roshni Haque, St Thomas More Catholic School