What volunteer roles can I do?

We offer different volunteer opportunities: mentoring a young person, delivering a masterclass, becoming a Local Advisory Board member in your local school or hosting work place visit.

In Scotland, volunteering roles are only available through our employer partners.

Can I do multiple volunteering roles at once?

Yes! We love it when our volunteer take part in more than one opportunity. However, it does depend on local availability.

Where do you operate?

We operate across the UK in 101 Local Authorities, you can find out more here.

What’s the time commitment?

This depends on the volunteer role., but all are flexible and can be built around a busy timetable.

In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, mentor is expected to meet their mentee once a month for an hour over a year (12 meetings). In Scotland, meetings take place every 6-8 weeks lasting 90 minutes.

If you deliver a masterclass this night be a one off session and usually takes an hour, excluding travel time.

Will I need a DBS check?

You’ll need a DBS check depending on your volunteer role. All our mentors are DBS checked as they are meeting their mentee on a one to one basis. This process is free of charge for the volunteer.

Can i volunteer with Career Ready if I am not a British national?

There are no restrictions on volunteering for people  from within the EU/European Economic Activity (EEA) area. However, for people outside the EU/EEA, there are various restrictions based on what type of visa they are travelling on. You can find more information on the NCVO website: https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/your-team/volunteers/recruiting/volunteers-from-overseas

What happens if I change my mind?

Depending on the role you undertake, we may ask from you a commitment of up to a year. Of course we understand that your personal situation may change will could affect your availability as a volunteer. You can always contact us if you need to talk to us about your situation.

Will I be insured?

Volunteers are covered by the Career Ready insurance policy while engaged in any work on behalf of Career Ready.

What do I do if therre’s an emergency?

If your emergency is about the safety of one of the young person we work with, get in touch immediately. You can contact the young person’s school coordinator if you have their contact details or the central Career Ready office: info@careerready.org.uk

If you or a young person are at risk to themselves or in immediate danger, phone 999.

Can I get a reference?

We can provide you with a reference after you have been actively volunteering with us for a minimum of 6 months. Please note this will be a reference with only factual information.

Who should I contact if I’m away for an extended period while volunteering?

Please contact your Regional Manager to notify them.