Held between 27 April – 19 June, Skills Festival was our first ever series of digital events connecting young people with employers and volunteers. Ensuring that they can keep on developing their workplace skills and knowledge during these challenging times.
Supporting young people when it's needed most
There's never been a more challenging time for schools & colleges and young people. With the closure of classrooms, research shows that the education gap is widening. And the cancellation of work experience placements, including our paid internships, young people are unable to develop vital workplace skills.
It's critical that we find innovative ways to give young people the support they need to keep on learning and thriving.
We are proud of the role our network of volunteers and employers have played in reaching out to young people and giving them this support through Skills Festival.
Skills Festival - digital access to the world of work
Skills Festival brought together 1,500 young people for eight-weeks of skill development, career awareness, and wider support events, all delivered by video-conferencing.
Our network of 200 volunteers from 100 employers provided:
- 82 insight sessions on different industries and job roles
- 69 skills workshops
- 66 Mock interviews
- 58 CV clinics
- 29 masterclasses on the skills for career success
- 28 CV & application workshops
- 17 mental wellbeing advice and support sessions
Boosting skills and awareness
It has given me a deeper understanding of different careers and listening to someone who is already in my future career choice was absolutely fantastic!
- 89% of students plan to put into practice what they have learnt during skills fest
- 77% of students are now more aware of their skills and how they can be used to be successful in the workplace
- 83% of students said it helped them further their career planning
- 69% of students said it increased their understanding of different sectors
As the Covid-19 situation develops, we will continue to shape our support for young people to ensure that we are best able to provide them with the support they need to develop vital workplace skills, grow in confidence, and have a network of support helping them to kickstart rewarding futures.
Find out more about the difference we make to young lives across the UK.