We provide a range of volunteering and employer-led activities to enable employers to engage with the workforce of tomorrow. Each activity is designed to ensure that young people are inspired about STEM and have the skills & knowledge to successfully pursue a career in the sector.
One of the things we’re looking to do at Network Rail is to increase the number of women we have working in the organisation, as well as individuals from diverse backgrounds. Career Ready has been fantastic in helping us to support that particular goal.
Nicola Benjamin, Quality & Assurance Manager, Network Rail
How it works
In the 2017/18 academic year, we supported over 1,000 young people across the UK on our STEM programme. Of these, 43% of our students were female and 41% we from BAME backgrounds.
There’s a range of ways in which you can get involved, whether as an individual or as a whole team:
- Mentoring: mentor a young person in secondary or further education, helping them to develop the skills & knowledge needed for STEM career.
- Masterclasses: deliver a one-hour STEM focussed session on the skills needed for a career in the sector.
- Paid internships & work placements: provide a young person with a paid internship or a work placement and enable them to put their skills into action
- Workplace visits: provide young people with a behind-the-scenes tour of your workplace and the chance to see what goes on in a STEM organisation.
- Workshops: deliver a STEM workshop at a local school/college, or in your workplace, to raise awareness of the STEM sector and excite young people about the careers it can offer.
Our programme transforms the career opportunities of young people and helps employers bring real benefit to their organisation.
- 98% of our students going onto a positive destination after school/college, compared to the national average of 89%
- 96% of mentors said their mentee had developed their employability skills over the programme
- 93% of young people said that masterclasses increased their understanding of the world of work
- 75% of employers said if given the opportunity, that they would hire their Career Ready intern
- 70% of internship supervisors said that, in just four weeks, their coaching skills had improved
Our success stories
We’re proud of how we’ve helped young people develop the skills, experience, and passion to pursue a career in the STEM sector.
Why not take a few moments to read their stories?
- Enoma Ogor - AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year 2018, Engineering
- Yehya Hawila
- Jennifer Walker- AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year 2018, Science
- Eric Petnehazi - AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year 2018, Technology
- Najwa Gutale
- Joe Williams - Leidos Student of the Year 2018, North West
- Papia Islam - AstraZeneca STEM Student of the Year, 2017, Science